Sometimes I wish I could eat a chokladboll, today is one of those days. They were one of my favorite treats in Sweden, the perfect pair with coffee for an ideal fika. They are ping pong size balls chocolate balls with chocolate, oats, and a hint of coffee, covered in coconut. The result is mouthwatering.
I might actually be motivated to attempt making them. So delicious. When I was home in California this summer I made it a necessity whenever I found myself at Ikea to pick up a package of them, the Delicatoboll. Store bought is good but just not the same!
If you are close to an Ikea or Sweden please eat one for me. and if you feel like putting in some work try this recipe from the blog Delishhh and Honest Cooking the Food Magazine, Ewa the author, is Swedish born now living in the US. I am looking forward trying her recipe out to satisfy my cravings!
- 1/4 lb or 1 stick unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or 1 tbsp vanilla sugar
- 1 tbsp strong coffee (cold)
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- Roll in coconut flakes or pearl sugar
- Mix butter, sugar and coffee together first and then add all the other ingredients. Make sure the butter is mixed in well. The batter should be easy to roll and not too sticky, you can adjust consistency with oats or coffee.
- Roll batter into about 25 small balls and roll them in pearl sugar or coconut flakes.
- Refrigerate for about 2 hours.